Friday, November 24, 2006

Turkey Day Down Under Times Two


IM000992.JPG
Originally uploaded by cheryl_lynn425.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Yesterday was my first Thanksgiving not in the US of A and I must say, it was kinda strange. You a) have to go to work which is just odd and b) people don't say "Happy Thanksgiving." Well not until you tell them its American Thanksgiving, then they are very cheerful and wish you the best holiday.

I was lucky in my Aussie Turkey Day. Even the Aussies know "that a turkey and some mistletoe help to make the season bright," specifically Naushin, one of my fav Aussies. Having lived in the States for 7 years she knows the importance of turkey and understands the glory that is Thanksgiving. So on Wednesday she and Erin asked if I would like to go out for a Thanksgiving lunch. Like a good American I of course welcomed the idea of food with friends on Thanksgiving.

That said, myself and four of the ladies from my office went to a cute little cafe for lunch yesterday. It definitely was not traditional Thanksgiving food although I did manage to have a turkey and cranberry sauce sandwich. It was excellent...the lunch out I mean, though the food was good too. I loved having their company and celebrating one of my favorite holidays.

Back at Boston Uni - the Aussie Version that night, we had a feast for 90. I made sure the people I was sitting with said grace, a very non-denominational "thank you for food, being in Sydney and sunshine" kinda grace. And then we dug in. Turkey, corn, green beans (oh man were these good!), dinner rolls, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Not quite as good as Thanksgiving at Grandma's but then again, what is?

We all stayed up late together, went up to the roof, reflected on the nearness of our exits from Sydney and then salvated over the idea of our favorite American dishes.

It was as good a Thanksgiving as one can have when over 8,000 miles from home in Australia with no family to be seen. I must say though, I prefer to be with noisy relatives while football plays in the background. I just wish I had remembered to throw in Uncle Jerry's famous phrase "whoever eats the fastest gets the mostest."

And this morning, 8am sharp, I called the States and it was a phone passing like you have never seen. I talked to everyone! They all seem healthy and happy and at that moment, filled to the brim with turkey goodness.

I know its still Turkey Day in the States, but here its the day after Thanksgiving and I'm ready to watch the UT v A&M game. I've got my Longhorns shirt on and everything. Oh well, I suppose I will have to settle for Friday on the Roof.

But tomorrow, 5am, its me, Jake, the Aggies and the Longhorns, ready for one of my favorite football games of the year.

Cheers!

No comments: