Thursday, November 02, 2006

Big Day at the Office


daffodil_logo.jpg
Originally uploaded by cheryl_lynn425.

I have always liked Thursdays. They mean the weekend is almost here, and much as we may not to, we are all living for the weekend. And in my life, Thursdays are generally speaking good days.

I was pretty pumped just going into work today because I knew Karen was going to give me the details on my new corporate fundraising project. So even before getting to work the day started out well.

About 10a this morning an email went through the office announcing that Marie-Claire would be leaving the office as she just got a new job. It went on to say her position would be turned into two positions, a full time entry level position and a part time mid level position. And of course, you got it, the entry level position was basically the position of my dreams: asking corporate big wigs to give me money so I can get the doctors to cure cancer.

11a I wandered into Karen's office for our meeting about my new and totally exciting project and the first thing she says to me is "Why don't you move here and take that job?" Um, yeah OK!! Then she threw out a ballpark salary, converted it into American dollars, added on the away from home allowance I would get and showed me how much, in American dollars, it would pay. I've got to say, more than any non-profit job in the States. And we talked about rent and slowly this idea of moving to Australia took form. I had a job offer, friends here and I wouldn't even have to buy a car.

And then I remembered my heterosexual life partner, so I told Karen I would have to drag my best friend across the world too...and the love of my life and my mom, and my dad, maybe my little brother, definitely Grandma...soon I had most of Texas and a Brimfield-ian moving to Sydney. But thought still, how cool would that be? Having the entry level job of my dreams placed in my hands...

Karen and I got back on task and she gave me my way way way cool project: designing the new corporate initiative program to go along with Australia's Biggest Morning Tea. I can't give away much more than that. It's confidential industry stuff ya know :) But basically I get to do it all; design the program, determine participants, develop the marketing materials, write the webcopy, draft the press releases etc. Its going to be an amazing addition to my portfolio not to mention that again, this is really what I want to do with my life as whole.

I kept playing with the idea of moving to Sydney to do this full time but when I did mention it to a couple of my most loved/missed people of all time the responses I got were a death threats on my life and one big fat "hell no you can't go!".

I've got to say, for about 2 hours, I was pretty bummed but then I got to thinking, ya know, meaning of life thinking. And in the end I concluded that I can fight cancer from anywhere, even if there are no jobs available, its cool. I'll do every Relay for Life I can find and buy MD Anderson Xmas cards. But what I cannot do anywhere is be close to those people I love the most. And thats just not OK. I mean if AJ and Joe decide getting married next week is a good idea, I need to be there for that. If someone is sick, I should be able to hold their hand and bring them soup. And someone has to keep an eye on Melissa and Kevin.

I'm coming back to Texas, thats the long and the short of it. I need to be there too much to stay in Sydney, even for the job of my dreams.

Cheers mate

No comments: