Monday, November 27, 2006

Parliament


Xmas decorations and palm tree
Originally uploaded by cheryl_lynn425.

Today I had seven hours of class. That is a LOT of class, especially when its all the same class.

My social policy professor held class in the NSW State Parliament House today, which I must say, despite being 7 hours long, is kinda cool. Its not that often that I give a presentation on paid maternity leave (or the lack thereof) in Australia inside the NSW State Parliament House.

Its actually not the most impressive of buildings but I do recognize that hypothetically some important decisions are made in there.

And we did have a very talented and amusing guest speaker, the national CEO of St. Vincents de Paul. He was very lively as well. If you are going to sit in a room for 7 hours, you deserve at least one entertaining and intellectually stimulating speech. Not to say my classmates weren't entertaining....

On our lunch break we went over to Australia Square in our pretty presentation clothes. I had flashbacks of working in the financial district of Boston this past summer. Even though I am sure I want to work non-profit because it is so much more rewarding, I have to say, I am a sucker for pointy toe heels on me and suits on the men around me. Something fashion related in me loves the look of the corporate world. If only I could work corporate and still save the world.

Oh yes, and my presentataion went well too. Just a minor school related detail :)

Cheers!

No comments: