Wednesday, September 27, 2006

St. Kilda


St. Kilda
Originally uploaded by cheryl_lynn425.

The first night we were in Melbourne, most the program took the advice of the BU staff and went to St. Kilda, a shopping and dining seaside district on the outskirts of Melbourne. We broke up into smaller groups, our typical social circles basically, and headed out. IT WAS FREEZING! I don't know what the actual temperature was but between being early spring, the hail storm we had earlier that day (yes thats right, HAIL) and being on the water, it was a chilly adventure. Jake, Andrew, Ankur, Nicole and I went our own way, down a street of pastry shops and clothing stores to a record store. This was a real record store. They had some CDs but their specialty was clearly old school records. Ankur got the scoop for the night and we moved on. Jake was determined to get down to the bay. We'd come all the way out there; cold weather or not we were walking along the water.
After some beach walking we stopped at this beach-club-thing, it reminded me a bit of a country club and looked way out of our league but we were dressed OK and thought we would stop in for a drink. When looking for a table I spotted the staff across the room; our director Mark, his wife (Charlie), their baby, the program manager Lauren, facilities director Pascal, Dr. Tom and his wife and Daryl. So we sat with them and had a smashing time chatting about St. Kilda, Sydney and playing with baby Jack, Mark and Charlie's little one.
Post drinks with the staff we went on to dinner with some other friends and then to the Esplanade for live music and dancing. Not a bad night if I do say so myself. Personally, I could make a life of eating out and dancing in a beachside district in Australia...

No comments: