Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Field Trip Day


IM000321.JPG
Originally uploaded by cheryl_lynn425.

If only a big yellow bus had taken us to and from the field trip, then the day would have really taken me back to elementary school. Alas the bus that took us was white, cost $2.80 and was filled with plenty of non-students.

Mark, our program director, led us on a mini-tour of some attractions down in the Circular Quay area, like the customs house, some singing poles outside the Museum of Sydney, the Sydney Public Library and finally dropped us off at the Hyde Park Barracks.

The customs house has a 3D map of Sydney built into the floor. You can look through clear tile down onto this map. It was great! The whole inside of the Customs House was part of the renovations Sydney got back in 2000 before the Olympics. The poles outside the MOS apparently sing in aboriginal voices the names of some of their tribes, but it was hard to hear given all the noise of the city. The Sydney Public Library rivals, but does not outdo, the BPL. And finally the Barracks, the real purpose of the trip, is where the convicts used to live. I saw a lot of things my Dad would have loved, due that nerdy history gene we both have.

On the way home, I walked through Hyde Park (pictured) with a few of the other girls in my program. Best I can tell its Sydney's version of the Boston Common. It was just beautiful! There is this great fountain and an archway of trees to walk through. One of these days the weather will be nice and consistent and I can really go enjoy the park. As of late the weather changes nearly minutely. If you look at my pics they alternate between blue skies and cloudy--it must have gone between the two at least 4 times while we were out. I wasn't sure if I needed an umbrella or sunglasses! Silly Sydney...

No comments: