Thursday, September 21, 2006

Everything I Need To Know I Learned From the Aussies


Sydney Uni
Originally uploaded by cheryl_lynn425.

OK well lots of things, Mom Dad and Grandma did teach me a few lessons along the way. Here it goes, the silly and the sincere

1) LIFE IS A BEACH. I had a hunch but Oz has proved me right. The beach is a cure all. Feel like blah (or worse)? Go to the beach. That will make it better.

2) YOU DON'T NEED SLEEP... but you do need all night chats with your roomie, to go out and make new friends, to play hard and to live life to the fullest

3) ...EXCEPT FOR WHEN YOU DO. ok so once in a while you will need to crash. Its ok, embrace the crash.

4) CLOTHING SIZES AND WEATHER FORECASTS ARE IRRELEVANT. it doesn't matter if you wear a 6 in the States b/c a 6 doesn't even exist in Oz. and if you buy something in say a size 10 in Oz that doesn't mean you wear a size 10, it means you own one item that is a size 10. The next may be an 8 or a 14. Its anybody's guess. And the weather, I thought Boston and Texas were bad but no, Sydney takes the cake. During a 2 hour field trip last week, I used my umbrella, wore my sunglasses, put on my jacket, stripped outta my jacket and wished i had brought a parka. Apparently Melbourne is only worse, I'll report back on that next week.

5) DOROTHY WAS WRONG. There are places like home, you just have to look for it. I've found a little Boston (major city, lots of college kids, no trees) and a little Houston (seaside, slower, nice people) while in Sydney.

6) WORK TO LIVE. Don't live to work. There are more important things in life than what happens in your cubicle. The Aussies have this one figured out; work hard while you are at the office but leave it there. Unless you solve a global problem or make a major discovery, your work won't define you. Your friends, family and experiences will.

7) PHONE HOME. Or beg them to phone you. It makes life better.

8) NO WORRIES. Self explanatory really.

One week shy of being in Sydney for a month this is what I have learned. I'll fill you in on other discoveries as they happen.
Cheers!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

i love your lessons learned. keep up the good work. ;-)